This year Ash Wednesday falls on March 1st and the whole month of March is within Lent. Join us at our Ash Wednesday Communion and Imposition of Ashes at 9.30am on March 1st.
Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter.
Why not start the month with a clear-out / clean-up?
- Have a clear-out at home and bring along your pre-loved items to St Mary’s Annual Auction at Buckden Village Hall 11am on Saturday 4th March. Maybe pick up some new treasures and bargains too.
- Join our Cleaning Crew on Saturday 11th March from 11am. The church will be stripped for Lent, what better time to give the place a good clean. Join us with mops and dusters or elbow grease and enthusiasm and observe Lent by preparing our church for Easter with a deep clean. Coffee and cakes available too.
- Cleaning up during Lent applies out of doors as well as inside the church. Join our Churchyard Tidy on Saturday 1st April from 10am. Bring your own tools. Coffee and cakes available too.
Lent is also a time of self-examination and reflection. So why not try one / some of the following?
- Spend more time in prayer.
If you don’t want to pray alone, why not join us in St Marys each weekday for The Daily Office and mid-week communion (times in the pewsheet / newsletter/ Buckden Roundabout)
- Lent course – All Loves Excelling (Studies in the Letter to the Philippians)
Monday lunchtimes 12.30pm at the Methodist Church (with soup lunch)
Thursday evenings 8.15pm at 7 Vineyard Way
Monday 6th / Thursday 9th March to Monday 3rd / Thursday 6th April
- Personal study – If you prefer to study alone, there are a number of Lent books available to borrow from the library at the back of church. These range from collections of reflective poems to activity books such as “Love Life Live Lent”. Or dig out your copy of “The Writing on the Wall”
For more details about what’s on in March, our “800 and counting
…” initiative and for feedback from Rev Jes, the ministry team and the PCC, please see the latest newsletter 1703-newsletter-mar-2017
. All our monthly newsletters can found on this website on the “newsletters” page under the “info” tab. Alternatively a newsletter can be be emailed to you each month. For those not on email / internet, there are always copies available to pick up in church. If you cannot get to church, you can have a paper copy delivered.
Click the following Links for up-to-date information on the
Work on the roof is now complete but we are unable to progress any of the other projects until we have raised substantial funds. Pray that our grant applications will be successful and that people will feel moved to support our beautiful Parish Church.
Fareshare is a UK wide charity, fighting hunger and food waste, benefitting both vulnerable people and the planet. 3.9 million tonnes of food is wasted by the food and drink industry every year. The food is good to eat and in date. Fareshare rescues this food and distributes it among 2,489 charities and community organisations.
See the charities page on this website (under finance), the weekly pewsheet and the charities noticeboard at the back of church for more information.
On Sunday 26th February we launched our “800 and counting” initiative (information below) to individuals, families and groups in Buckden and beyond.
We invite everyone to get involved and make this a whole village event for 2017
Posted in events, fund-raising
Tagged Buckden, building, church, events, families, fundraising, groups, history, information, St Mary's
See our major projects page for up to date information on the work done so far and work that still needs to be done. Projects 1 and 2 were the most urgent.
Project 1 – the chancel roof and organ chamber roof – is practically complete
Project 2 – various stonework items up and around the tower – this is a big one and needs substantial funding before we can move forward. It also urgent and based on safety.
Then there is more…
Join us for this year’s auction on March 4th and pick up some bargains.
Calling all children aged under 7 and their parents. A new venture for 2017, St Mary’s Stepping Stones has merged with JAMclub Offord. Lots of fun on the 3rd Sunday of every month. Come and join us on Sunday 19th February 4pm (til 5pm) in Offord Village Hall. This “messy church” type monthly group is for all children under 7 (pre-school children must be accompanied by their parents).